I'm super psyched to do the Insanity workout challenge! I love doing interval exercise and this series is all about pushing yourself through intervals.
Why interval training is so awesome:
- You can do so much in such a short period of time
- It is great for weight loss
- Kicks ass for stress management
- Improves the good cholesterol (HDL)
- Decreases inflammation in your body (brings down CRP)
- My personal fav... Improves cognition by increasing BDNF (brain derived neurotropic factor) which improves memory and focus
- It requires NO equipment and you can do it anywhere
So, what exactly is interval exercise? It's simply alternating bursts of intense activity with intervals of lighter activity.
Real life example: during your morning walk, begin incorporating short bursts of jogging.
How do you know you are in the interval training range?
Well, the goal is to have your heart rate at 80% of your max heart rate during the intervals.
To Calculate your maximum heart rate you take 220 and subtract your age (or click here)