Who hasn't battled with blemishes at some point in their lives?! Our skin gives us a much deeper picture as to what is going on within the body. There could be a lot of different variables causing acne and we are going to address the top 5 today!Read More
The honey in Crete is internationally known because of its amazing flavor! The unique flavor is from all the aromatic plants and herbs in the mountains. As I hike each morning, I hear the bees buzzing and occasionally spot bee keepers tending to their hives up in the hills.Read More
The Greeks have been familiar with this gorgeous fruit since ancient times and in Greek Mythology, the pomegranate was known as the "fruit of the dead" and used to honor the spirits of the dead. Today, pomegranates are used as a gift for a new home and is considered a symbol of abundance, fertility, and good luck.Read More
Um, people have been doing it for centuries for the amazing health benefits... are you??? Imagine a refreshing cup of white tea infused with fresh peaches and a hint of mint while reading your usual morning blog or perhaps a cup of chamomile tea with a pinch of lemon while taking an evening bath. The great thing about tea is the endless options as a delicious drink or a herbal elixir.Read More
Doesn't it seem counter intuitive to apply oil to your face before bed instead of washing it with facial cleanser and then doing a little exfoliation?
A nightly ritual of face washing can be actually contributing to your break outs! Why? Many over-the-counter face washes strip the oil out of your skin which perpetuates the endless cycle!Read More
We're surrounded by it everyday, it has an answer for every aliment, and it's absolutely stunning! Botanical medicine is the use of plants or plant extracts for medicinal purposes, and it's the most ancient form of healing documented.
For a while, we moved away from the healing power of plants when the booming pharmaceutical model gained momentum. Now, we are coming back full circle, understanding that by isolating a single chemical within a plant destroys the inherent intelligence of the whole to work in brilliant complexity. Wooh, we just got deep!Read More
The mint family is one of the most useful medicinal and culinary herb families because of it's great taste and healing properties. Peppermint is actually a natural hybrid between the water mint and spearmint plants. Mint is even considered a symbol of wisdom and hospitality. The medicinal uses of peppermint are vast including relieving muscle spasms to soothing the stomach and improving digestion.Read More
1. They Write It Down: Having a clear vision and actually writing down your goals greatly increases your chances of accomplishing them. A study found that you have a 42% increased chance of meeting your goal by simply writing it down. Have a vision, make it measurable, and give it a timeframe.Read More
Meditation can have profound effects on the quality of your life, your happiness, and the way you view stress. The coolest part about having your own practice is that it can be anything you want it to be! You can make it into a daily practice, a weekly practice, or just use it when you start to feel stress.Read More
Tea is the most consumed beverage in the world but do we really know how to optimize the flavor and the nutrients out of each brew? Black, herbal, white, green, and oolong although all from the same plant require different brewing temperatures and times.Read More
It's a $5 billion dollar industry and 1 in every 5 Americans are currently taking at least one supplement or vitamin. The scary part: it's still the wild west! A Canadian study that was published last fall found that 1/3 of the herbal supplements tested did not contain ANY of the main herbal ingredients listed on the label.Read More
Time to harvest all your hard work in the garden and create yummy, gorgeous salads!Read More
In today's society it's now more rare to meet someone without tattoo than with them. The biggest issue now is that people are getting tattoos without knowing what is in the ink that is injected into their skin!Read More
Activated charcoal has been used for thousands of years to cleanse and detoxify the body. Whats the difference between charcoal and activated charcoal? Well, they are almost identical – the only difference is that activated charcoal has been created solely for medicinal use. Activated charcoal is heated with a gas that causes the charcoal to expand, creating a porous surface that traps toxins.
No, I'm not referring to hallucinogenic mushrooms! I'm talking about the endless benefits of medicinal mushrooms used for healing and optimal living.
Mushrooms are simply marvelous. The sizes, shapes, and colors are beautiful and the health benefits are HUGE!!!Read More
Health encompasses the body, mind, spirt, and environment. Most people spend a large part of their day in an office so why not make it your personal sanctuary. Feel inspired, motivated, and surrounded by everything you love in your space!
- Find ways to move like a balance ball or treadmill desk
- Add plants to clean the air
- Hang pictures that inspire you
- Place some healing stones around the space (citrine, quartz, amethyst)
- Let in natural light or use a light box
- Add some art or DIY projects like my DIY glamorous agate mirror
Here are some of my favorite offices...
Jane Iredale's office (Natural Makeup Line)
Georgina Chapman (Fashion Designer for Marchesa)
Lauren Santo Domingo (Vogue contributor & co-founder of Moda Operandi)
Start creating your own sanctuary!
Happy Valentines Day! Today seems like the perfect day to discuss aphrodisiac herbs
For us Gals:
Damiana: this leaf works on a holistic level by stimulating blood flow and increasing sensitivity while putting the body in a more relaxed state.
Shatavari: (asparagus racemosus), is a classic women's herb that has been proven to decrease vaginal dryness, enhance fertility, and tonify the reproductive organs.
Muira Puama: aka potency wood, is a bark and root have long been used by indigenous populations in the Amazon for sexual therapy.
Try It Together
Yohimbe: this bark is quite powerful at simulating circulation in the pelvic region within an hour after use.
Maca: this popular root has been shown to enhance libido, stamina, and sexual performance in both men and women.
Ashwagandha: the plant is largely considered a male herb because of its ability to treat impotence, premature ejaculation, and other erection disorders, but also has a reputation for benefitting women’s reproductive systems.
Do you still want to unwind at a party but not feel gross the morning after? My answer, Kava Cocktails! The Polynesians have been drinking this for hundreds of years and your figure out why soon enough. This wonderful beverage has awesome calming effects on the mind and body, some even compare it to Valium but it doesn’t impair your judgement or inhibit clarity!
1. The root of kava kava should be used and ground up into a powder.
2. Add 1teaspoon of powder (for one drink) to a mesh strainer.
3. Add mesh strainer into one cup of COLD water.
4. Gently massage the mesh strainer (inside the water) for 2 minutes (this is to get out all the kavalactones to mix with the water)
Okay, so now time for the fun part. Simply fill up the cup with 3/4 kava and create your own kava cocktail!
Who doesn't have stress in their lives? An easy practice to quickly reduce stress is called the muscle tension relaxation technique and it only takes 10 minutes. Seriously, give it a try today... it feels A M A Z I N G afterwards.
1. Find a comfy place and loosen any tight clothing.
2. Tense your toes and feet. Hold the tension, study the tension, and then relax.
3. Tense your lower legs, knees, and thighs. Hold the tension, study the tension, and then relax.
4. Tense your buttocks. Hold and study the tension. Relax.
5. Tense your fingers and hands. Hold and study the tension, then relax.
6. Tense your lower arms, elbows, and upper arms. Hold it, study it, and relax.
7. Tense your stomach, hold the tension, feel the tension, and relax.
8. Tense your chest. Hold and study the tension. Relax. Take a deep breath and exhale slowly.
9. Tense your lower back. Hold and study the tension and relax.
10. Tense the upper back. Hold the tension, feel the tension, then relax.
11. Tense the neck, back, and front of your neck. Hold the tension, study the tension, and then relax.
12. Tense the shoulders. Hold and study the tension. Then relax.
13. Tense your entire head. Make a grimace on your face so that you feel the tension in your facial muscles. Study the tension and then relax.
14. Now try to tense every muscle in your body. Hold it, study it, and then relax.
15. Continue sitting or reclining for a few minutes, feeling the relaxation flowing through your body. Know the difference between muscles that are tense and muscles that are relaxed.
16. Now stretch, feeling renewed and refreshed; continue with your day feeling like a healthy fashionista!
I think of makeup as something that should enhance your look and benefit your skin. Blush simply provides that little extra umph to give you a natural youthful glow.
Here are my favorite natural blushes:
Josie Maran Coconut-Water based Cheek Gelee (my all-time favorite blush!)
For the most natural look...
1. Begin your blush application at the top of the apple of your cheek. The idea is to deposit most of the pigment where rosiness would first appear naturally, if you were simply flushing.
2. Smile to push the apples up.
3. Then, placing the color on the part that lies directly below your pupil, blend outward, toward the ear.