Have you ever thought about what you do right after the alarm clock goes off? Do you jump into the shower and then frantically head off to work? Creating a morning ritual gives you time to focus on YOU and what goals (besides that long to-do list) you would like to accomplish.Read More
You've waited for this gorgeous weather all year long so you could finally get outside and soak up some rays. But is your skin as ready as you are?
Summer is the time to relax and experience the healing power of nature. Breathing the fresh air, connecting with the environment, and grounding yourself with the earth can be powerful medicine for the mind and body. And this includes getting friendly with the sun.
The sun brings life to the planet, and is needed for all life processes. Plants transform sunlight into energy, and, in turn, nourishment for a variety of animals-including us. But while the sunshine provides nourishment and life, too much can damage the skin. Here's your guide to promoting radiant summer skin with natural sun protection and sunburn relief.
Say hello to summer this year with your best body ever! Become in-tune with your body, halt sugar cravings in their tracks, improve digestion, nourish your metabolism, lose weight, and feel vibrant just in time for the sunshine. We’ve designed a complete mind and body guide to help you look more radiant, feel more confident, and get ready for swimsuit season. Just try these powerful techniques.Read More
I'm so excited to offer you guys such an amazing gift which is a $111.00 value! Jane Iredale is a pioneer in natural skin care and I've been using this line for over a decade now. This natural beauty company offers a rare combination of high quality makeup, stringent testing, and ingredient guidelines to ensure that your skin is looking good from the inside out. They test for heavy metals, are cruelty-free, and are completely transparent with their ingredients...there's is a link on their website to EVERY ingredient they have in their products, check it out
The stunning makeup kit that you can win is the Country Weekend Relaxed Beauty Kit which will give you the perfect balance, infusing nature and color for a glowing look.
FOREVER PEACH JUST KISSED® LIP & CHEEK STAIN
Multipurpose lip and cheek stain uses all natural ingredients to enhance your natural coloring. Non-drying, long-lasting, all natural stain adjusts to your own chemistry for an irresistible peach shade that will flatter your skin’s undertone.
GETAWAY EYE SHADOW KIT
Inspired by fresh air and starry nights, this versatile palette features 5 wearable shades ranging from soft to dramatic, all set in a lightweight compact.
ESPRESSO JELLY JAR® GEL EYELINER
Soft and creamy; glides on smoothly for a defined or smudgeable line, then sets to stay just where you want it. This gel eyeliner is highly pigmented and provides inky, saturated color. Water resistant and long-lasting.
Offer is only in the continental United States
So, we're all pretty darn familiar with the research based on the Mediterranean diet that shows a correlation between a diet rich in healthy fats, fish, and vegetables and a reduced risk of so many aliments including heart disease, depression, and even dementia. So why aren't more of us going Greek???
- Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- Replacing butter with healthy fats, such as olive oil
- Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
- Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
- Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
It's roots (no pun intended) originate in the Mediterranean and it's actually a descendant from a wild herb, not broccoli but it is in the same brassica family. Broccoli rabe is rich in phytochemicals including sulforaphane and indoles which are great for liver support and detoxification.
Don't discriminate against eggplant just because it's a night shade! This gorgeous purple glossy fruit is loaded with fiber (2.5 grams per 3 1/2 ounce to be exact), Vitamins B1 and B6 along with a flavonoid anthrocyanin called nasunin which is a potent antioxidant and neuro-protective agent. There have also been some research linking eggplant to lower cholesterol levels.
This sweet, buttery flavored nut packs quite a punch for it's size! For 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) it has 582 calories but those calories are well spent with 16 grams of protein, 13.6 grams of fiber, and 54 grams of fat (82% monounsaturated)! A small amount of these nuts could be a great snack to fend of hunger while providing lasting fulfillment.
I couldn't leave out olive oil, the ancient symbol for wisdom and peace. Olives originated in Crete around 3000 to 5000 B.C.E. Olives have a total fat content of 15 to 35% and are an excellent source of oleic acid which is also the primary fat the brain uses to communicate messages (via myelin). What does that mean? improved memory and reaction time!
For the lycopene lovers out there, tomatoes are great way to neutralize free radicals and can be protective against many diseases. Tomatoes are also super rich in vitamin C, biotin, and vitamin K.
Eating a diet rich in fish (1-2 a week) is commonplace for most people living near the coast. Fish is rich in high quality proteins, various essential nutrients and Omega-3 fatty acids, which are excellent for the brain, the heart and various other parts of the body. Omega-3 fatty acids appear to be especially important for mental health and prevention of cardiovascular disease,
I love the start of summer, smelling the sweet botanicals, hearing the birds come out, and the excitement of what the new season will bring!
What is your dream for the summer?
It was hard to find a more magical place than Ojai, but a village in Crete called Avdou just might top it! Surrounded by mountains and far away from tourists lies Avdou village, the perfect place for inspiration, creativity, and peace.
So, you might ask, why in the world am I going to Greece? Well, I've wanted to write a book based on this blog forever but simply never had the time... until now.Read More
1. I LOVE vintage cars and restored a 1968 Mustang convertible when I was 20 years old.
2. Blueberries are my primary food source.
3. I have a 10 year old pug named Elvis that is the center of our universe.
4. My favorite book is by Florence Schovel Shinn called "The Game of Life & How to Play It", She was so ahead of her time!
5. I met my fiance on the 4th of July in 2009, and he was in a cast and wearing hospital underwear from a bike accident... I guess I'm attracted to wounded birds.
6. I took auto tech in high school.
7. If I didn't study business or medicine in school, I would have become a furniture designer or florist.
8. I've shadowed shamans, bush doctors, and healers all around the world.
9. My favorite color is yellow.
10. My goal is to be featured in Vogue by the time I'm 36 as a game-changing, stylish doctor.
11. I'm not a morning person.
12. I've never read a non-fiction book.
13. I'd rather backpack in the jungle and study from local cultures than vacation at a 5-star resort.
14. Growing up, I refused to wear anything but dresses for the first 5 years of my life.
15. My parents are the most inspiring & courageous people I know!
16. I have a slight addiction to vintage couture.
17. I haven't drank a sip of alcohol for over 17 years!
18. I have a sister that's 3 years old than me and 8 inches shorter.
19. I'm a Taurus and am powered by sheer passion & will.
20. I've traveled to many countries alone just to step outside my comfort zone.
21. I've inherited 3 vintage teacup sets handed down in the family from generations before me. I guess everyone knows I love to drink tea.
22. Peonies are my favorite flowers.
23. I'm obsessed with DIY projects.
24. My dream home is an eco prefab on acres of land with shipping crates turned into cabins scattered about.
25. I've read every Wayne Dyer book at least twice.
26. I own my own torque wrench.
27. I have 5 operating websites.
28. I'd pretty much rather do anything than watch sports.
29. I studied at universities for 13 years.
30. My daily attire is a great dress and old boots.
31. I met my best friend in boarding school when I was 12 years old.
32. I've gone sky diving, parasailing, and zip lining, but I'm scared to try bungee jumping!
33. My current favorite TV show is Silicon Valley and favorite movie is Practical Magic.
34. I have one tattoo on my foot that I got after finishing medical school. It says "Vis Medicatrix Naturae", the healing power of nature.
Bring On 34!!!
Over the weekend, I've been at this amazing conference absorbing new ideas and meeting inspiring authors. Here's my top 3 books I believe you will LOVE!Read More
With Coachella right around the corner, are you prepared for festival season to begin?
Here's my top 10 "must have" items for the gypsy goddess on the go!Read More
Sometimes pictures speak louder than words! Happy SpringRead More
These women game changers of the world are fearless, controversial, and brilliant! These women are paving the way for us in tech, journalism, science, and politics... of course while also being fabulous and stylish!Read More
The day of Love might have snuck up on you this year, but there's plenty you can do that doesn't involve scheduling a dinner at the hippest restaurant or getting theatre tickets at the last minute. Us gals, always appreciate the time and effort put into the gesture, rather than the price tag.Read More
Well, first off, if you're going to be lugging a water bottle around all day, shouldn't it have style?
We pay so much attention to our purse yet, a water bottle is with us all day too!Read More
Did you know that only 8% of people stick to their New Years goals? We all start the New Year off solid and ready to make some amazing changes. So, why do so many people fail? Well, if it were easy than wouldn't we have already seen the United States disease rates dramatically decline if each person chose to exercise, eat healthy, and learn stress reduction techniques like they set out to do each year? Wouldn't you already be your ideal weight and living your passion? Follow these tips to increase your odds:
What is the 8% doing?
- They set realistic goals and accept that failures occur along the way, which is just part of the journey.
- They don't beat themselves up. Let's say your goal is to go to the gym everyday after work for 2015. Well, what would happen if you missed a day the first week? What would happen if you averaged 3 days a week? This is still a huge success! Don't give up or strive for perfection.
- They understand that changes don't happen overnight. Despite all the hype around the internet that a habit only takes 21 days to establish, research shows that it actually takes at least 66 days .
- They would join my kick-ass FREE program called Manifest YOU! to give them extra tools for success.
Today is the shortest day and the longest night of the year (for those of you in the northern hemisphere). This day signifies coming out of the darkness and celebrating the light as the length of the days increase. Winter bonus: new evidence suggests that regular exposure to mildy cold air may help you lose weight by increasing the amount of energy your body needs to expend to keep the core temperature up (but just by a little). Let's get out and celebrate...Read More
Whenever I'm feeling stuck, like there's nothing to write about, or when I'm trying to create a vision for a photo shoot, I turn to the fashion icons for a little inspiration!Read More
The holiday season is really about helping each other and cherishing the relationships we have in our life. What are you going to do this year for the people you love? How can you improve the lives of those around you?Read More
Something as simple as gratitude can have profound effects on your health. Have more energy, be more optimistic, and improve your immune system by feeling thankful for what you have in life!
Start by writing down what you are thankful for each day
Tell the people in your life how much you love them
Pay it forward... purchase coffee for the person behind you in line!
And there's science behind it too!
Increase your daily dose of gratitude!
I had way to much fun putting this together! Check out my carefully curated holiday gift guide. Find a gift for just about anyone, in any price range!Read More