Vitamin D is very important for many of our bodies functions and it's actually considered a hormone. A recent study reported that 36% of adults are actually deficient in the United States! We can get it naturally by spending 10 to 15 minutes in sunshine three times weekly with it shining on the skin of your face, arms, back, or legs (without sunscreen). Many people who are further away from the equator might have to supplement with vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) during the winter months to keep levels optimal.
Benefits of Vitamin D
- Helps to maintain calcium balance
- Boosts immunity
- Plays a role in insulin secretion
- Deficiency is linked to many diseases (cancer, MS, osteoporosis, and autoimmune diseases)
- Could improve mental sharpness
- Has chemoprotective effects
It's the perfect excuse to go outside and enjoy the sun today!