It seems as though insomnia is a common occurrence in our culture with the constant stresses in our lives and the endless amounts of media at our fingers tips keeping us awake at night. Not getting enough sleep can lead to some serious health issues and impair our ability to learn, our memory, mood, decrease our immunity, and negatively affect our weight and metabolism. Creating a proper sleep hygiene habit is the first step for a restful nights sleep.
Sleep hygiene tips:
- Don't drink caffeine after lunch
- Stop using your computer 1 hour before bedtime
- Unclutter the bedroom
- Avoid naps during the day
- Try yoga or mediation in the evening
- Take a warm bath (my favorite ritual)
Tea is always a great way to relax and I am a big fan of Yogi's bedtime tea. It has the perfect combination of herbs which includes valerian, chamomile, St. johns wort, passion flower, licorice, cardamom and cinnamon.