1. Do you feel tired all day even with that double tall almond milk latte?
2. Do you have trouble sleeping at night despite trying to relax and taking lavender baths?
3. Have you gained weight recently or started craving more salty and sweet foods?
4. Have you had to call in sick more often because you keep picking up colds around the office?
5. Have you recently been experiencing more stress than usual?
What in the world are the adrenal glands and how do they affect stress?
The adrenal glands are a pair of triangular-shaped organs that sit on top of the kidneys. These glands secrete many hormones including cortisol, DHEA, adrenaline and norepinephrine which are the body's 4 major stress hormones. When our body's are constantly in the "fight or flight" (sympathetic) mode because we are over worked and constantly under stress the adrenal glands can become under active or fatigued. Adrenal fatigue can result in a variety of symptoms from feeling tired, trouble getting up in the morning, craving sweets, brain fog, feeling burned out, getting sick a lot, sensitivity to cold, and an inability to concentrate.
How to we support these glands?
The first priority is to remove any barriers to health such as making sure to get 8 hours of sleep a night, exercising at least 1/2 an hour daily,decreasing caffeine intake, eating fruits and veggies, and also finding ways to relax and enjoy life.
Next, get out in nature, go barefoot, and breathe the fresh air! Sometimes the most simple things in life produce the largest rewards. Just be in the moment and enjoy the beauty.
There are also many supplements to take which can help support adrenal function such as B complex vitamins, adaptogenic herbs, and for extreme cases taking adrenal cortex.