The colors are abundant at your local farmer's markets and now is the perfect time to experiment with combinations.
Cucumber Mind Salad
- 1 lb thin skinned, mild (non bitter) cucumbers, such as Persian, Armenian, or Japanese cucumbers, thinly sliced. You might also try it with English cucumbers.
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch long segments
- 2 or 3 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 10 mint leaves, thinly sliced
- White vinegar
- Olive oil
- 1/4 pound feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium sized bowl, gently toss together the sliced cucumbers, red onion, radishes, mint leaves with a little bit of white vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Right before serving, sprinkle on crumbled bits of feta cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Grilled Radicchio Salad
- 2 heads of radicchio, quartered, so that each quarter has a bit of the stem end holding it together
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more to coat radicchio
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- Pecorino or parmesan cheese for garnish
1 Make the dressing. Put the salt, garlic, mustard and balsamic vinegar into a food processor or blender and pulse to combine. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil slowly until the dressing comes together.
2 Prepare your grill for high, direct heat.
3 Coat quartered radicchio with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
4 Grill the radicchio over high heat, uncovered. Keep an eye on them, as they blacken quickly. You want a little blackening, but not a cinder. When they’re done, move to a bowl and bring inside to chop.
5 Chop the radicchio quarters into bite-sized pieces and toss with the dressing and some black pepper.
Serve hot or at room temperature, garnished with grated pecorino or parmesan cheese.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6.