Castor oil comes from castor seeds (Ricinus communis) and is pretty amazing at reducing inflammation and promoting healing. I recently discovered that I have bursitis in my knee from overuse, which created inflammation and pain in that area. I have been wrapping my knee in a castor oil pack each evening for 45 minutes and the bursitis is almost gone!
Make your own Castor oil pack:
- Heat about 1/2 cup of castor oil until it is warm but not hot.
- Soak a small towel or cotton wrap into the oil until it is saturated.
- Wrap the towel around the affected area.
- Cover with plastic wrap (so the oil doesn't get everywhere).
- Put a heating pad on top because the heat helps to penetrate it deeper into the tissues.
- Leave this on for about 45 minutes.