As I'm still slowly unpacking my house in Santa Barbara, I came across this book that my grandmother gave me when I was just 11 years old which still brings a smile to my face each time I open it. I read this book over and over to the point that most of the pages have fallen out!
As I'm going through this book again today with a new perspective and many years studying natural medicine; it's still a great resource.
It has a section called "Top Healing Herbs For Women" which includes some of my favorites like Burdock, Calendula, Passionflower, and Uva-Ursi and easy to read monographs and pictures.
Here is a recipe from the book called 'Super Soup For Super Immunity' that I have made countless times
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil or organic olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 6-7 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece of ginger root, 1" long, peeled, and chopped
- 5-7 quarts filtered water
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 medium burdock root, chopped
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 sticks of dried astragulus root
- 1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary) chopped
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red peppers
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, cabbage, kale, or collard greens
1. In a large stockpot, saute the onion, celery, garlic, and ginger in oil until the onion turns translucent.
2. Add the water or broth, carrots, parsnip, turnip, burdock, herbs, soy sauce, barley, and lentils. Simmer on low to medium heat for 1 to 2 hours, or until root vegetables start to become tender.
3. Stir in tumeric, paprika, and vinegar. Add hot peppers or cayenne to taste.
4. Add red peppers, zucchini, and greens. Simmer for another 30 to 60 minutes.
5. Remove astragalus root and garnish with black pepper or crushed red pepper.
What's your story.... how did you find natural health?