There are so many things that come full circle in life like acid wash jeans, leggings, high-waisted pants.. and yet there are other things that should have never gone out of style like drinking bitters before meals.
Our ancestors knew the benefit of drinking bitters before meals to stimulate digestion and it was a very common practice for centuries. Bitters can increase nutrient absorption, improve digestion, and also decrease gas and bloating.
... and you must TASTE the bitterness! It doesn't help to take bitters in capsules because you want the body to respond to the bitter taste which aids in activating the digestive process. There are many ways to take bitters such as adding some dandelion greens to a salad, drinking it infused in alcohol or taking the bitters in a tincture.
Here is a list of some bitter herbs:
- Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia)
- Angelica: ( Angelica archangelica)
- Gentian: (Gentiana lutea)
- Chamomile : (Matricaria chamomilla)
- Dandelion : (Taraxacum officinalis)
- Goldenseal : (Hydrastis canadensis)
- Milk Thistle : (Silybum marianum)
- Peppermint : Mentha piperita)
- Rue : (Ruta)
- Wormwood : (Artemisia absinthium)
- Yarrow : (Achilles millefolium)
...but not all things should return like the classic 80's ringlet perm (yes, I had one), shoulder pads, pencil thin eyebrows, or heavy lipliner with lighter lipstick!