As the temperature drops the thought of warming foods such as ginger, cinnamon, and soups sounds delightful.
Here are some great Autumn recipes:
Autumn Salad Mixed With Chicories & Persimmons
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt
- 2 pounds mixed chicories, such as Radicchio di Treviso, Palla Rossa, and frisee, torn into 1-inch pieces (18 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 Fuyu persimmons, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Make the dressing: Gradually whisk oil into vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt. Make the salad: Toss chicories, walnuts, persimmons, and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette, and toss to coat.
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 tsp Thai curry paste, red or green
- 1l vegetable stock
- half sachet creamed coconut (or ¼ can reduced-fat coconut milk)
- handful coriander, roughly chopped
- mini naan bread, to serve
- 750g sweet potatoes, grated
Heat the oil in a deep saucepan, then soften the onion for 4-5 mins. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 min more until fragrant. Add the grated sweet potato and stock, then bring quickly to the boil, simmering for 5 mins until the potato is tender.
Remove the soup from the heat, stir in the coconut and seasoning, then cool briefly before whizzing with a stick blender until smooth. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with warm garlic naan breads.
Hot Ginger Apple Cider
- 4 cups apple cider
- 2 tbsps light brown sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5/8 ginger
- 4 cinnamon sticks
In a medium saucepan, bring apple cider, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon and ginger to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover, and let it infuse for 10 minutes.
Garnish each glass with a cinnamon stick if desired.